Saturday, June 9, 2018

WHY WE ARE SMARTER THAN MONKEYS, AND THE PRICE WE PAY


One of my favorite pictures

Lord, this genetics stuff is interesting!  As I have said several times, if I had it to do over I would spend my life doing cancer-related biomedical research.  As part of that profession I would also become a whiz-bang computer jock – and, with those talents I would naturally start my own biotech business and become as rich as Bill Gates!  Oh, well – Bill never got to camp out in a windstorm in Patagonia – and get paid for it.

That piece of nonsense is meant to introduce an article by Dr. Francis Collins, whom I have discussed before.  Dr. Collins is Director of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and former director of the “official” program to sequence the human genome.  Apparently he keeps his hands wet doing things in the laboratory, as well as running a multi-billion dollar federal agency – and still has time to post fascinating blogs on stuff NIH is doing.

 The particular blog referenced below concerns the genetic reason we humans are smarter than monkeys. Briefly, it has to do with the duplication, in humans, of a gene called NOTCH2 , which we share with other primates.  We carry multiple copies – which makes us smart.  However, it also makes us susceptible to an array of nasty imperfections, ranging from ADHD syndrome to microcephaly.

 It appears that here is no such thing as a perfectly white shirt; they all have a tiny stain somewhere.

So monkeys may not be as smart as we are, but maybe they are happier.  You think?

So, anyway, Francis Collins is a remarkable human being.  He is an accomplished, highly respected scientist – and  a practicing Christian.  He has written a book, The Language of God: A scientist presents evidence for belief, which I am reading.  (You can get it through Abebooks for $3.57, with free shipping.)  I have spent my entire life trying not to think about God; I knew I should, but it seemed too hard and I was too busy.  Now, however, I am 85, and not busy.  Maybe it is time.


1 comment:

  1. I am behind on my reading. The Economist published a useful story on this subject several weeks ago.

    https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2018/06/02/a-history-of-big-headedness

    ReplyDelete