Monday, March 5, 2018

DATA MINING


Early camping trip

I have had a lot of fun as a geologist.  I was paid, mind you, to visit all sorts of interesting and beautiful places all over this half of the world.  I worked in the Caribbean (hot, muggy, boring), the Aegean (well worth a visit, especially off the beaten track), Southwestern South America (wonderful), Italy (good food), and half a dozen places in the United States (a mixed bag.)  I even got paid to go to Antarctica, a trip I never could have afforded otherwise.  And all the while I made interesting friends, who enrich my life even now.

But if I had it to do over again, I would study computer applications, with a double major of molecular genetics.  I would become a data miner.

Here is a story about a data miner at UCLA, doing important work, highly regarded research.


This young woman – and she looks oh so young – is using computer techniques to comb through existing data bases of DNA information and related data to find “common threads” amongst various rare, “Mendalian” diseases.  She does it in a manner that I don’t fully comprehend, in an effort to accomplish some things I don’t fully understand, either.  Whatever:  NIH is excited enough to fund her handsomely.  (I got this information from the blog of the Director of NIH:  see http://ljb-quiltcutie.blogspot.com/2017/12/frankenstuff.html)

Well, if you do happen to read the rare diseases article you will run on the following useful little ditty:


This explains data mining.  I am going to study it, after my morning nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment