Sunday, December 4, 2016

COLLATERAL DAMAGE


The Joyce sisters: Heron Island, 2008

Boy, is this a good one!

Sometimes I almost believe that the NYTimes deserves its reputation as the best new source in America; even better than the Breitbart News, the Bellingham Herald, and my personal favorite, The Onion.  The scouting team of Joanne & Dick Ingwall has just sent me a link to this very useful and informative article, which I hereby pass on to you:


The gist of this little gem is this:  immunotherapy is close to being a real breakthrough in cancer treatment, but has some very serious – in fact, potentially fatal – side issues that require urgent address.  This is illustrated by two cringe-generating case studies, accompanied by some simple science that we all can assimilate.  And as an added treat, there is a diagram illustrating how immunotherapy works. I must have read about immunotherapy six dozen times, but now I think I understand it, thanks to this illustration.

(Confession: As a geologist, I thrived on diagrams – maps, etc.  I might have trouble with the printed word, but I got off on pictures.  Toward the end of my career I began to simply scan new publications for useful pictures.  Then I would check to see if I was cited, and – if so – I would read the thing.  That worked because I had graduate students to explain new scientific wrinkles to me.)

So, why should we be surprised that immunotherapy comes with the potential for collateral damage?  The body has ways of protecting itself from its own immune system.  Immunotherapy subverts that protection, with any luck only with regard to the targeted cancer cells.  However, do it imperfectly and your implacable T-cells will also devour your liver, your pancreas, your kidneys, and a whole lot more besides – not that more would be needed.  A significant number of people have died as a result of the side effects of immunotherapy.  Much effort is being expended to find ways to deal with this problem, but the end is not yet in sight.

Some of you know that I am an Egyptophile – I am fascinated by everything about ancient Egypt.  This blog brings into focus the myth of Sekhmet the lion-headed goddess of destruction (and other stuff).  Once Re, her father, told her to kill off a bunch of humans he didn’t like.  As her work progressed she found it so entertaining that she set out to kill all of mankind – and Re couldn’t turn her off!  In desperation he mixed human blood with beer, causing Sekhmet to get drunk and pass out.  Presumably her subsequent hangover was so bad that she gave up on her cat-and-man game, and we all were spared.

We need Re to show us how to shut off our T-cells.

No comments:

Post a Comment