Tuesday, March 1, 2016

MORE ON MICE


Linda getting her exercise, Rams Hill, 2009

Mice are very cute.  Currently I have several running around in the guest quarters of my Borrego place.  They ignore my traps, baited with cheese and peanut butter, and instead invade my stash of chocolate-covered nuts and any scraps of food left on the table.  I hate to expel or kill them, but I am afraid no one will visit me if they are required to sleep with rodents.
So, mice are the dominate theme in a new cancer study described in The Economist.  Here it is:
The question here is why does exercise protect against cancer?  Apparently the fact that it does is old news, although it was new news to me.  To find out, a hard-hearted scientist from Denver performed a series of fiendish experiments on our tiny furry friends.  It transpires that exercise stimulates the production of both epinephrine (adrenalin) and something called interleukin-6 (a small signaling protein).  Both are active in the immune system.  Mice that were allowed to exercise had high levels of these things, and better luck with cancer – 74% better than their fat, indolent cousins.  So, problem solved: exercise enhances the supply of things that, in turn, activate the weapons of the immune system: cytotoxic T-cells were mentioned.  So, great – get out there and sweat!
But how about me?
Well, I used to average about 20 miles of jogging per week, and later on I went hiking every chance I could - and I didn’t get cancer!  Now, however, I am lucky to walk 2 miles a week, and that very slowly.  Could they, I wonder, produce a soft drink heavy to epinephrine and interleukin-6 for us old farts?  Maybe put it in a snazzy bottle and give it a cute name.  How about Eau de Youth?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment