Thursday, December 10, 2015

A POTENT VEGETABLE?

Lady Astor's little British getaway
On the Thames, above London
There I a flurry of publicity surrounding some new clinical confirmation that using birth control pills reduces your likelihood of getting ovarian cancer.  You knew that already, right?  The problem remains, however: by the time a woman reaches the age range where she is most likely to get OVCA, she is past worrying about birth control.   Now, if we had Abu Bakr al Bagdadi for a leader, instead of our kind and somewhat hesitant president, all girls would be put on the pill at age 11 and only permitted to stop when more future jihadi were needed.  So, bummer.
However, here is something you almost certainly didn’t know:  there is a vegetable that may help prevent/cure both ovarian and breast cancer.  The stuff is called Sojne danta, and seems to be popular in India.  If you Google it, you will find recipes.  Nothing that I have read explains how it does its thing – other than by "stimulating apoptosis"which, as you know, is short for “programmed cell death.”  A clutch of scientists from India are presenting a paper on this plant, and initiating a formal trial.  I am hopeful, but skeptical.
I had forgotten how much I hate this computer!


2 comments:

  1. The Russians are at it again. Google tells me that I have had 149 hits this week - 94 from Russia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. But stimulating programmed cell death? Almost sounds like it would shorten your lifespan. I can't remember my biology about apoptosis.

    ReplyDelete