Sunday, November 8, 2015

ON CANCER RESEARCH FUNDING

Linda on a typical Bellingham summer day
Well, we have ten or twelve of them most any year
While fumbling around in the depths of the internet seeking enlightenment on checkpoint inhibitors (q.v.), I stumbled on an article I actually could understand.  It had nothing to do with checkpoint inhibitors, though – it was a report of NCI awards for SPORE grants.  NCI you recognize: a SPORE is alternatively a way that some plants reproduce, or – as in this case – a type of NCI award called a Special Program on Research Excellence, or (as I am sure recipients regard it – the jackpot).  These grants last for five years and (currently at least) are worth $2.85 million annually.  At the moment there are four active SPOREs in the field of ovarian cancer research.  Mayo Clinic received one this year.  I am going to study the Abstract for their proposal, and if I can make any sense of it I will report.
Needless to say, Mayo Clinic is top drawer.  I am encouraged.
Sadly, the program I attempted to help at Fred Hutch was not funded.  I don’t think it was my fault.


No comments:

Post a Comment