Monday, June 8, 2015

JUNK DNA

Linda w/baby and cat
One of many
Well, I finally have put the cover back on Nessa Carey’s book “Junk DNA: A journey through the dark matter of the genome”, and put it on the bookshelf.  It still gets a grade of B+ and a warning*, but my appreciation of it picked up toward the end.  It remains a ten-minute, 2.5 X book, these being how long I could read it at a stretch and still remain conscious, and the number of times I had to read each sentence before I was sure I knew what it meant.  I will give it a second go in six months or so.
Just so you know, I am going on a “Farmhouse Holiday” in Iceland later this month, so you will be deprived of new blogs to read for several weeks.  Try to bear up.
*The warning:  Do not attempt this book unless (1) your background in genetics and biology are at least the equivalent of mine, (2) you are vitally interested in how human heredity works, and (3) you have  a hell of a lot of time on your hands.

Note after second reading:  new estimate, a 15 minute, 1.5X book.  Not People Magazine, but you can do it.  By he way, it now is rated A-.  Sorry, Nessa.


No comments:

Post a Comment