Wednesday, February 25, 2015

ALL OVARIAN CANCER IS BAD: This kind is worst.


In Norway
I think that's a quilt shop in the background
Monday I was stranded in Flagstaff, AZ, in a snowstorm, with temperatures in the 20s or worse.  Today I am in Borrego Springs, wearing shorts.  What a difference a few thousand feet of elevation can make!  Not to mention a few  degrees of latitude (and maybe a nearby lake); I have been reluctant to contact Linda’s brother Dick, in Kalamazoo, MI, because I am jealous that he is getting all that exercise, shoveling snow, and I am not.   But, anyway…..
An important paper on ovarian cancer, judging by its press treatment, has just been released.  No fewer than three press articles covering the same topic were coughed up for me by Google Alerts; I will give you the links, below.  The work was done at Cambridge University, in England.  The methodology is beyond us, but the result seems to be that in OVCA, the more “heterogeneous”, the worse.  That is, the faster the cancer cells divide and mutate, the harder it is to kill them all at a single crack.  A particular chemo treatment may get most of the cancer cells, but if the damned thing is heterogeneous enough it always leaves a few that are resistant, free to grow and cause a relapse.  I think we already knew that, but at least this study has learned something about how the process operates.  I guess that’s helpful.
Here are the links.  They tend to be tough sledding.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment