Wednesday, May 21, 2014

TO WALK IN BEAUTY


Tomorrow Linda will have been gone for three years.  I am going to post something I wrote about her several months ago.  For the next 10 or so days I will be in northern Arizona with two of my daughters,



This isn’t really about ovarian cancer at all, nor is it an attempt to be funny.  Off and on over the years I have been interested in Navajo culture.  So far most of what I know comes from reading the marvelous “Leaphorn-Chee” novels, by Tony Hillerman.  I have made an effort to read more “serious” things, but to no avail. Hillerman remains my only guide.

In his books Hillerman relates that the Navajo Way consist in part of “walking in beauty”.  I don’t pretend to fully comprehend that concept; all my life I have “walked” in a state of constant striving  and inner turmoil.  But I have come to realize that “walking in beauty” exactly describes Linda; on her journey through life she created beauty all around her, wherever she happened to be!  Those of you who knew her well will understand.  Even when she contracted ovarian cancer she continued on, in beauty.  There wasn’t a Sing that could save her, nor any trick of modern medicine.  But she walked on to the end, in beauty.

In her obituary I wrote that, with her death, the world would be a darker place.  For those of us who knew her well, it certainly is.


6 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Myrl. Safe travels. It will be good for you to be with Karen and Kristen tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, Dad. I miss her very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The closing prayer from the Navajo Way Blessing Ceremony:

    In beauty may I walk
    All day long, may I walk
    Through returning seasons, may I walk

    On the trail marked with pollen, may I walk
    With grasshoppers around my feet, may I walk
    With dew about my feet, may I walk

    With beauty, may I walk
    With beauty before me, may I walk
    With beauty behind me, may I walk
    With beauty all around me, may I walk

    In old age, wandering on a trail of beauty, may I walk
    In old age, walking on a trail of beauty, livng again, may I walk

    It is finished in beauty
    It is finished in beauty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolyn has described her as possessing "effortless grace". That is certainly true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a very beautiful tribute you wrote. As I'm walking through my own change in lifestyle, I miss her more than ever. She always heard me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am reading “Grant”, by Ron Chernow. It is a magnificent book – and a massive one as well. I am 150 pages into it and the Civil War has just begun! I look forward to many, many more happy hours.

    John Rawlins was an important, almost essential friend and aide to Grant. He lost his young wife very early, to tuberculosis. Of her he said many years later, “few of earth’s daughters were so lovely, none in Heaven stands nearer the throne”.

    It would be nice to have that sort of eloquence.

    ReplyDelete