Tuesday, April 8, 2014

TREATS SOON TO COME YOUR WAY


In our home, probably 2010
The blank space on the wall now holds one of Linda's wonderful quilts.

It hit 980  in Borrego Springs today and is supposed to reach new levels  of discomfort tomorrow.  Then it may cool off.  My estimated date of departure is Wednesday, April 23rd, and (after my usual stay in Eureka), my ETA in Bellingham is April 30th.  My cats will be happy To see me, and I can begin to put in a garden.  This year I propose to grow lots of turnips.


I am going for a hike tomorrow, in Font’s Point wash – at 6:00 am.
     
Friday of this week I am scheduled  to deliver  two talks to the ABDS Paleontology Society.  The first, The Terrane Concept in  Geotectonics is something I can do in my sleep.  However, the second talk – New Ideas about the Origin of the Grand Canyon – concerns ideas and methods I know almost nothing about.  I took it on so as to force myself to learn something new (besides cancer biology, of course.)  Now I wish I hadn’t, but it is too late.  I will bluff my way through


But not to neglect my blog:  I have several things I want to discuss, but time and energy are lacking right now.  This current blog is something like a Preview of Coming Attractions.  Waiting in the wings are:


1)      Another episode in the series Profiles in Research Excellence.  There is a young scientist at Fred Hutch who has made important discoveries in the field of ovarian cancer genetics.  His name is Jason Bielas.  I would like to meet Dr. Bielas and intend to do so as soon as possible.
2)      I want to do a book report.  The book is The Truth in Small Doses, by Clifton Leaf.  Mr. Leaf is not at all pleased with the way the “war” on cancer is being waged, nor of the way cancer research funds are allocated.  In fact, he is pretty sour on the whole philosophical underpinnings of official anti-cancer activity.  I am nearly through with the book, and so far, reluctantly,  I agree with him.
3)      Finally, Carolyn has sent me a reference to an article on combating cancer through diet.  It appears that bananas – the browner the better – are recommended.  I haven’t read the whole article – but I will.
So, stay tuned.  I have to get back to the Grand Canyon and the mysteries of 4He/3He thermochronography.

   

1 comment:

  1. I'm especially interested in #2--your book report. Good luck on your Grand Canyon lecture. Razzle dazzle them with your expertise. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete