Saturday, November 2, 2013

WHILE I WAIT FOR SEAMUS


At Mata Ortiz, northern Mexico
Where all the expensive pottery comes from
 
Ah, November in Bellingham!  It is dark.  The clouds are scudding rapidly toward Canada.  The wind blows in formidable gusts, also toward Canada (natch).  Earlier it was raining so hard that there were waves of water running down the hill in front of my house (literally).  The cats are virtual zombies.  My monkey puzzle tree courageously fights back against the wind, but I fear for its life.
AND HERE I WAIT, FOR THE BIRTH OF MY FIRST GREAT GRANDSON!
To pass the time I have been trying for hours to figure out how to post something I just wrote, about medical statistics.  Yes, I really did intend to inflict it on you:  it is important, and I am in a bad mood.  But I can’t.  I had to hand draw some illustrations.  I can copy them to the text.  BUT WHEN I POST THE WHOLE THING TO BLOGGER, THEY DISAPPEAR!  I am going to Carolyn’s house for Thanksgiving.  No doubt she knows some sophisticated trick to solve my problem.  You’ll have to wait. 
But not to waste a blog, I have found a reasonably non-technical article on prevention of ovarian cancer.  It was written by Dr Magnus Westgren, of the prestigious Karolinska Institute of Stockholm.  I will give you the link at the end of this blog, if I remember.
In a nutshell, Dr. Westgren divides OVCA into two types.  Type I is relatively harmless and, unfortunately, relatively rare.  Type II OVCA is lethal – and, most often, originates in the fallopian tubes.  Dr. W recommends they be removed, especially in women with the BRCA 1 mutation.  He explains why he thinks as he does, but I didn’t understand everything he writes.  Maybe you will.


No comments:

Post a Comment