Wednesday, July 3, 2013

THE SEQUESTER HITS HOME


 
A quilt shop in Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
She could smell 'em at 50 miles if the wind was right!
 
 
Remember back on March 2nd when I told you (TIME TO BURN SOME SHOE LEATHER) about the effect this moronic thing called the “Sequester” was about to have on the NIH and NCI budgets”   and politely exhorted you to write your Congresspersons to complain?  Sure you do, because I kept hounding you for weeks thereafter.  I am certain that most of you did the right thing and raised hell.  However, as you certainly know, all your efforts did no good – “Sequester” not only took, but now seems to be permanently installed as the new norm.  Well, yesterday I learned something that again rubbed my nose in this monumental stupidity.  I had a talk with Dr. Bonnie McGregor.
You will remember Dr. McGregor.  I wrote about her in my blog “CHEMO BRAIN AND CROWDSOURCING” on May 26th.(Well, after actually re-reading that little contribution I see that I didn’t say anything at all about Dr. McGregor – although if  (as I am sure you did) you followed the link I gave you would know her and her project).  Anyway, she has given us several tote bags, which I will dole out to the winners of various aspects of Summerun North 2013, on July 28th.  She also wanted to attend, but has other commitments.  Anyway:  Dr. McGregor told me a little of what is happening because of the big “S”.  She is awaiting word on how much her various grants, already awarded, will be cut.  Some salaries will feel the pinch as well.  I know that the unit I work with is sweating bullets trying to get their master grant re-funded.  I suspect that terror roams the halls of most cancer research institutes these days.   And all because Congress (and the body politic at large, it seems) has forgotten the arts of compromise. 
I have several times lately used  the Aussie expression “Goodonem” -  translated” Good on you, them, it” whatever.  It may be time for a similar expression:” Apoxonem”.
I know, I wrote two blogs today, and two per day is too many.  It’s just that my cats have stopped barfing on the rug, so I had some time on my hands.  It won’t happen again.


No comments:

Post a Comment