Tuesday, January 15, 2013

DEFINITELY NOT OC: In praise of ME!




It is past time to toot my own horn.  As of today I have written exactly 100 blog entries, in 322 days, giving me an average rate of one blog every 77 hours or so.  According to Google my blog has been viewed 5276 times, by people in 17  countries.  I have “readers” in such unlikely spots as Latvia, Cambodia, and Thailand.  People in Poland and Russia seem to be particularly fascinated by my blog  (Actually, as I spelled out earlier – I think some of the latter hits are from machines, not human beings.)  Nearly all of these 100 blogs have something to do with cancer research, and/or my adventures in biochemical wonderland.  So, to celebrate, I post a picture of ME!

The picture was taken in December of 1951.  I had just finished my first quarter at Caltech.  The car - my first - was a Hudson Terraplane business coup.  It was heavier than a tank, and consumed nearly as much gasoline (but, at 25 cents the gallon, one could live with that.)  Notice the shoes.  My mother did most of my shopping in those days, and she tried to keep me up with the fashions.  They were swade, if I remember correctly.  Notice the rolled up jeans.  That was studly in those days.  When you were smoking, and I was just beginning to smoke, you were supposed to flick your ashes into the upturned cuffs.  The house in the background is 665 Palm Ave., Beaumont, California, where I grew up.  It is still there, but looks seedy.  The palm trees are enormous now.

I had meant to write something about a paper my group at the Hutch just published, but it is full of statistics I don’t understand so I need to give it another go.  And, don’t worry, from now on the pictures will feature Linda.

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on all those blog entries. As I've said before, Linda would be so proud of you. In her journal she expressed concern how both you and I would handle her death. Although we both still miss her so much, you especially are going forward with purpose and dedication to your wife.

    Love the pose and clothes. You deserve to toot your horn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, you were supposed to flick the ashes into the cuffs???? That sounds crazy and dangerous and at the very least hazardous to the pants. Fascinating bit of trivia, never heard that before. Congrats on your prolific blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this photo too, maybe you can email it to me somehow. Also I am impressed, grateful and relieved with your dedication and passion for learning about cancer. Impressed that you have spent so much time and effort to learn all you can and be helpful to the people at Fred Hutch. Grateful that you are passing that info on to us! And relieved that you have found something else to be passionate about.
    Linda K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOT DOG! Why are all these pictures of young, virile men in front of their cars, hmmm...

    If there was anyone 'in your rightful place', it is you, Myrl. Writing, sharing, advocating, working for a worthly cause in memory of beloved Linda. There you are, the first to volunteer no matter the task. How many accomplished PhD's are filing papers, attentive at meetings on alien subjects, and dedicating hours to understand the scientific papers, all of which is new territory. If they gave a broom to sweep the floor, you'd make it shine.

    Thank you, Myrl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I might draw the line at the broom, and only partly because I know I would do a rotten job.

      Delete