Tuesday, November 6, 2012

NOT OC: I AM A SORRY SACK OF STUFF


Linda Joyce Beck, desert explorer
But not in the summer.

Do you know that there actually are people – most of them Europeans, with Germans said to predominate – who come here in the summer to see what it is like to hike in 110+0 heat?   Even some Englishmen are involved.  (You know about Englishmen, and mad dogs, of course.)  Miraculously, some of these idiots survive.  At least the Germans should know better.

I write this because I just came back from walking up Hellhole Canyon, in what seemed like 1100 heat.  I walked for only a bit more than an hour – and I am exhausted.  To make matters worse, when I got back the lying bastard of a thermometer in my jeep said the temperature was only 720!  (If it wasn't at least 100 degrees I will eat my walking stick.)  And to make matters doubly worse yet, my Internet is down.  (If you see this you will be able to deduce that I figured out what is wrong.) 

So now you understand the title of this blog entry.  I think I am being punished for voting for the wrong candidate today.  In my view Obama doesn't deserve a second term and Romney  doesn't deserve a first term – so, as usual, I voted for the Libertarian.  Since  Reagan the only candidate I have voted for with real conviction was McCain.  It may be that, in getting old and tired, I also am turning into a curmudgeon.  Can that be?

1 comment:

  1. According to Google, nobody has commented on this blog entry and only three people have even read it. So, a follow-up. I have been in Borrego for over a month, probably gone on at least 15 hikes, and tried to get in shape. Today I went out with the paleo people on our usual monthly field trip. I had to quit after two hours. I was exhausted! I think my days of field work are over. It is discouraging.


    ReplyDelete