Tuesday, October 28, 2014

WHAT IS A VIRUS? - And why you should care

At Lady Astor's modest country retreat on the Thames
2007
 
The Ebola epidemic has driven all other health news underground, and my cursed shingles invasion leaves me with very little energy to chase down news of new developments in cancer research.  In desperation (I haven’t blogged for five days) I turned to my old pal, Google Scholar.  I asked for articles published in the last two years containing the phrase “ovarian cancer” in the title – and got “about” 5300 hits!  Thoroughly discouraged, I decided to use my aching stomach muscles as an excuse and fob you off on a general article about the biology of viruses.  It is reasonably interesting and accessible, and will give you a break from worrying about whether the Kansas City Royals can pull it off.  Here it is:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/28/science/ebola-and-the-vast-viral-universe.html?ref=health

The author tosses in a few technical bio-chem terms, probably to appear erudite.  Most of them she explains:  here are several she doesn’t.

Interferon:  Proteins important in fighting viral infections.  They stimulate the immune system to fight back

Lipid:  fat cells

Capsid:  The protein shell of a virus

Ribosome:  A biological “machine” composed of proteins and RNA that converts DNA into protein.

Phyletic:  A fancy and obscure way to indicate an evolutionary lineage

I don’t give you these definition to appear erudite myself, but rather to save you the trouble of going to Google – which I had to do in all but two instances.


No comments:

Post a Comment